CFL light bulbs contain small amounts of mercury. One CFL contains about 5 mg of mercury (A mercury thermometer has between 500 and 1,000 mg)
What to do when a Compact Fluorescent Lamp breaks?
EPA recommends the following clean-up and disposal guidelines:
- Open a window and leave the room (restrict access) for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove all materials you can without using a vacuum cleaner.
Carefully scoop up the fragments and powder with stiff paper or cardboard.
Wipe the area clean with a damp paper towel or disposable wet wipe.
Sticky tape (such as duct tape) can be used to pick up small pieces and powder.
- Place all cleanup materials in a plastic bag and seal it.
Seal the bulb in two plastic bags and take it to the Home Depot returns desk
- Wash your hands after disposing of the bag.
- The first time you vacuum the area where the bulb was broken, remove the vacuum bag
once done cleaning the area (or empty and wipe the canister) and put the bag and/or
vacuum debris, as well as the cleaning materials, in two sealed plastic bag in the outdoor
trash or protected outdoor location for normal disposal.
REMINDER: This listing is a free service of LouisianaLandCAN.
Home Depot La Place #378 is not employed by or affiliated with the Louisiana Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.
Contact Home Depot La Place #378
Parker R. Lombard
300 West Airline Hwy
La Place, LA 70068
Services provided in:
- St John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana